“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

-Albus Dumbledore

Saturday 11 October 2014

I don't know.

Click here for a free llama bush! 

HELLLLLLOOOOOO!

I just really felt like doing that. 

I don't like wearing sweats/yoga pants/leggings either. Jeans are my most comfortable pants. 

Wow Beth. Thanks for giving me the hardest question ever. I have no idea where to begin. 

I did watch Idea Channel's video, and I really liked it. I like that channel, but sometimes there's too much information in each video for me to understand.

(yes, I know. That last sentence.)

I like knowing things. A lot. Way more than not knowing things. That's why I watched all John's Crash Course World History videos for fun. And guess what? I wouldn't have been able to learn and then know all that world history in such an interesting, engaging, simple, and fast way without the internet. 
I don't think I've lost the romance of knowing. I still love when I learn something cool on the internet, and I still think it's amazing when I finish reading a tumblr post and all the information and ideas in it are amazing. But that doesn't mean everyone hasn't lost that. And I think a lot of people never had it in the first place. 

I love the library analogy so much. 
It really depends on the person though, because some people will find a few books with things they're interested in and spead time reading each one from start to finish. And some people will sit in the library and not even look around and complain about there being too many books. And some people will be overwhelmed by how many options they have and pick more books then they're allowed to take home, and then never have time to read each one carefully. 
I'm often overwhelmed by just how many things there are to read, to watch, to learn on the internet. Especially on Youtube, I'm constantly thinking, "do you really need to subscribe to another person? Really?" and then I'll find another interesting Youtuber and spend hours watching all of their videos. And then another. And another. But sometimes I'll find an interesting article and read it and feel more fulfilled and more knowledgeble than I did before. And I didn't have to go all the way to a library to feel that way. 

I like being able to look up any fact about anything that I'm wondering about. But like in the idea channel video, are knowing facts about something the same thing as knowledge? I think in most cases, yes. Often when I look up something, it makes me want to know more things, or it puts together a lot of other things I know. 

Anyway, I think people nowadays definitely know more stuff.

 Actually, I'm not sure. We know more about some things, that's for sure. Are we smarter, or more intelligent, or better, more well-rounded people? Well. Hmmm. 

I asked my dad about this, and at first he said, no, we don't know more stuff, because people look things up and then forget it right away. He said we definitely have more access to knowing things now. Then I asked him if he really thought, that overall people know less stuff than they used to, and then he said he wasn't sure. People share information more now, and there is more information to know and access. So he was stumped too. 

I can't really answer this. Thanks for putting me through that. Now it's your turn! 


DFTBA!


Beth's Blog: http://beth.120crayons.com



No comments:

Post a Comment