“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

-Albus Dumbledore

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Creativity

Hello Imaginary Audience! There is no link for you all today, not because Beth has acted like me and forgot to post, but because on the computer I have to use tonight I can't access Beth's blog for some reason. I haven't read her post yet, so I'm just going to have to hope she hasn't written anything terribly important and world changing, If she has, I might never know what it is. Just kidding. I'll probably know by tomorrow. 

Anyway.

So a few weeks ago I was thinking of maybe doing NaNoWriMo, or national novel writing month. For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo is when a bunch of people try to write a I-can't-remember-how-many-words draft of a novel during the month of November. I was thinking about doing this, but there are a couple of reasons why I'm not going to. 

1. I don't really have time to write like a 1000 words a day of a novel for 30 days. 
2. I'm not that great at remembering to do stuff. 
3. I'm not very good at following through with things.
4. and I can't think of any ideas!

That last one is kind of a problem if you want to write something. You have to know what you want to write first. And I can never think of anything interesting enough! How do brilliant authors and other creative people come up with ideas that are not only interesting to read, but are also original? I'd really like to know. Cause I'm not good at that.

I'm not actually horrible at thinking of ideas, I think the main problem is that I prefer to let them sit in my head instead of taking the idea and making it into a real thing. Most of the few times I've tried to make my ideas a reality I just was disappointed by the outcome. Whatever I had just done didn't match up to the idea of it I had in my head.

I'm also just kind of lazy. I don't want to put in the work to make my idea awesome and the best it could possibly be. My problem is that I don't want to write an amazing book about my idea, I want someone else to do it for me, because they will do it much better than I possibly could. 

So my questions for you are these: Where do you get your ideas from? Are you the type of person to follow through or just keep the ideas in your head? I think you are the type to follow through, but I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. You started that Noah's Ark play in house church, and you made those wizard robes, and you started that bottle band that was awesome and we should try again sometime. Teach me your creative ways!


DFTBA!



No comments:

Post a Comment