“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

-Albus Dumbledore

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Books vs. Movies (spoilers: books undoubtably win)

Imaginary Audience: If you don't want to be horribly confused while reading this post I would suggest clicking here first. 

Hello once again Beth! 

And THANK YOU for existing! You are made of pure genius, awesomeness, and hilarity. All of that definitely showed in your last post for sure. It was brilliant!

You also gave me quite a lot of thoughts that were very confusing, but I loved having them there. You are very good at explaining these types of thoughts. It's becoming hard for me to decide what from your post to focus on. I don't know if I can match your greatness!

I think I will start with your brilliant musings on forgetting, the difficulty of doing so, and why maybe we shouldn't try to forget. 

SO. Something you said that really stuck with me, and made me think a lot, was this: 

"It is, after all, much easier to deal with things if you don’t know they exist. But would we really want to? This led me to thinking about the Doctor, and how he forgot how many children were on Gallifrey when he burned it, and watching him admit it, you know it’s a terrible thing. But why is it a terrible thing?"

I really want to try to answer that question, however my thoughts are not working together properly. I've been thinking about it a lot, so eventually I will give it a go. I tried already, but gave up halfway through. I just wanted to acknowledge you being all fantastic and thought-provoking and stuff. 

Also. Thanks for RUINING MY LIFE with the David Tennant crisis. Seriously. Unbelievable. 
I loved all your other examples too. Ships sink when other ships have a cannon, huh? Who would've thought. (That is really so amazing though)

Thank you for comparing me to John Green! I am thrilled you think that much of me, however John is unarguably much much better with words than I am. Not even comparable, really. I mean, have you seen his Thoughts From Places videos? 

Title idea: 
The Thing: Adventures in Being Imaginary 

Now I'm going to try to answer your real question. This post has been a little weird and all over the place. I'm not really in a good head space to write right now, so sorry if this next bit sucks. 

Why do I like books better than movies? I do think that the personal quality of a book is definitely something that contributes. The narrative of a book, whether it is in first, second, or third person, to me always seems more personal. There's something about reading a book that is making you cry and laugh and get angry and feel joy while you're lying on your bed clutching the pages in your hands that makes you feel more connected to the characters and the story. When you watch a movie, to me it feels like it's their story, but when I read a book It feels like I am a part of the story. As well, there are some amazing things you can do with imagery, but you can do some incredible things with words that you can't do with pictures. 
Take this quote from The Book Thief that explains some of my thoughts much more eloquently than I: 

“I like that every page in every book can have a gem on it. It's probably what I love most about writing--that words can be used in a way that's like a child playing in a sandpit, rearranging things, swapping them around. They're the best moments in a day of writing -- when an image appears that you didn't know would be there when you started work in the morning.” 

The Book Thief has many examples of this. Here are 2 examples that makes me shiver with awesomeness: 

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.....I am haunted by humans.”

“A SMALL PIECE OF TRUTH
I do not carry a sickle or scythe.
I only wear a hooded black robe when it's cold.
And I don't have those skull-like facial features you seem to enjoy pinning on me from a distance. You want to know what I truly look like? I'll help you out. Find yourself a mirror while I continue.”  


There are many more examples, of course, in The Book Thief and other amazing books. Words on a page, for some reason, make me see more than words or images in a movie. 

Now that I've hopefully answered your question for me, it's time for me to ask you something. 
I recently discovered this realy cool youtube channel and this guy named Tommy Edison. Tommy has been blind since birth, and he does these videos where he answers questions people often have for blind people and explains stuff. He's really interesting and funny, and I strongly suggest you check out some of his stuff. It made me have a whole new batch of existential crises becauses of all the things I had never thought of before. He has these really great videos about colour and intangible concepts for him, so my question is, how would you explain colours to a blind person, and what about stuff like the sky or space or the sun? 

DFTBA!

Beth's Blog: http://beth.120crayons.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment