“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

-Albus Dumbledore

Tuesday 26 August 2014

Blobby Blobby and Slimy Slimy

Imaginary Audience! I have a gift for you! It's an amazing, incredible, and very informative link!

As some of you imaginary people may know, today is my punishment post. It involves research and disgusting creatures, and I'll try to make it as interesting as I can to read, although no promises. So we might as well jump right in!

True Facts about the Blobfish:

-The blobfish is a deep sea fish and lives around Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand.
-The blobfish lives in waters between 2000 and 3900 ft deep.
-It eats any edible matter that floats in front of it while swimming along the sea floor. Talk about lazy!
-In September 2013 the blobfish was voted the "Worlds Ugliest Animal"
- It's extremely rare for anyone to see blobfish in the wild
- Blobfish aren't extremely large, most are around 12 to 30 cm
- Also know as the blobby blobby potato of the sea. (at least that's what I call it)

Also, according to the BBC, blobfish aren't edible. No kidding.

True Facts about the Hagfish:

- Average length is about 19.7 inches
- They are the only known living animals that have a skull but no backbone
- Hagfish are jawless
- The longest known hagfish was 4 ft 2 in
- They can produce large amounts of milky slime from the 100 glands on its sides
- If they are captured by the tail, they produce slime, tie themselves in a knot, and then wriggle through the knot, releasing themselves
- Hagfish can detect light but not images
- Hagfish eat marine worms on the sea floor and can also eat much larger, dying, sea creatures by devouring them from the inside
- Hagfish skin makes a very good leather, particularly good for wallets and belts.
- Hagfish is also a punk rock band originating from Dallas, Texas

So, now that we've all educated ourselves on the Hagfish and the Blobfish, now comes the part of my punishment where I am supposed to explain which one is superior.

It's actually a very hard decision. Both creatures are disgusting and special and unique. However.....
I'm gonna go with the Blobfish. Not for the way it looks however, although it is amazing and gross, but actually because of how it has been misrepresented, and I feel kinda bad for it. Seriously.

Down where the blobfish lives, pressure is up to 120 times higher than at the surface. Now, most fish
A blobfish deep in the depths of the ocean.
have swim bladders, sacs of gas that help them move around and stay buoyant. But if the blobfish had a swim bladder, it would collapse at the extreme pressure. In order for the blobfish to survive where it needs to, it has hardly any skeleton and and almost no muscle. In the deep deep depths where it lives, it actually looks like a regular fish. When the blobfish is brought
above water, its jelly like body and lack of bones makes it look a lot uglier that in actually is. But I think he's doing ok despite his undeserved "World's Ugliest Animal" title. And that is why I think the Blobfish is superior. He's not letting his "ugliness" get him down.

You told me to be sincere, and I actually am! That's seriously my opinion.

And also this entire punishment was like one giant Ze Frank's true facts reference. At least, it was to me.

Was this enough words for you Beth? I'm not sure. I hope so. There's not a lot of information on these creatures.


DFTBA!

Beth's Blog: http://beth.120crayons.com





No comments:

Post a Comment